These Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies are flourless, chewy and oh so delicious with dark chocolate chips and a sprinkle of sea salt.
The BEST Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
We’re serious! These healthy peanut butter cookies are seriously the best we’ve ever had. They’re perfectly chewy, flourless, and (of course!) pack that delicious peanut butter flavor we all love.
What Makes These Cookies Healthy?
We’ve made a few simple ingredient swaps from traditional peanut butter cookies
They’re Flourless: These healthy peanut butter cookies are flourless and GF thanks to the almond flour and coconut flour.
All-Natural Peanut Butter: We’re big fans of using all-natural drippy peanut butter with one ingredient – PEANUTS, and none of those extra fillers you often find in many nut butters.
No Granulated Sugar: Instead of using white granulated sugar like many cookies do, we use light brown sugar for these cookies. Feel free to sub 1:1 for coconut sugar if that’s your jam!
Dark Chocolate Chips: While these healthy peanut butter cookies can definitely be made without chocolate chips, we love the taste that dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips give these cookies (instead of milk chocolate chips).
How to Make Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
Preheat and Mix Ingredients
First, preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Next, place all ingredients into a medium bowl (minus the coconut oil) and mix until combined. Then, add melted coconut oil and mix again. Your dough should be a similar consistency to classic cookie dough.
Scoop Cookie Dough
Use a 1.5-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop dough into your hands. Roll into a ball and slightly flatten in a cookie shape (more on this below!) and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until you’ve made all your cookies (this recipe will make 10-12 cookies!).
Add additional chocolate chips (if you love chocolate) to the tops of each cookie and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
Bake Those Cookies
Bake at 350ºF for 9-11 minutes, or until the cookies have firmed up.
Immediately transfer cookies from baking sheet to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before eating. ENJOY!
Pro Tip: Always Flatten Cookie Dough
After you mix the dough up for these healthy peanut butter cookies, it’s no secret that you’ll scoop them out and put them on a pan. HOWEVER, do not forget to slightly flatten the peanut butter cookie dough before you put them on the pan.
Here’s what you do!
- Mix the cookie dough in a large bowl.
- Using a tablespoon cookie dough scoop, scoop a cookie dough ball in your hands.
- Next, roll the cookie dough into a ball and carefully flatten it in the palm of your hands.
- Place the flattened cookie dough ball on a greased pan.
WHY DO I HAVE TO FLATTEN THESE COOKIE DOUGH BALLS BEFORE BAKING?
You have to flatten the cookie dough balls before placing them on the baking sheet because if you do not, they will end up as a dome shape rather than a perfect, flat top, chewy cookie.
How to Store Peanut Butter Cookies
Keep these cookies in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, making sure they fully cool before storing.
Can you Freeze Cookies?
Absolutely! These healthy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Simply allow the cookies to cool completely, and then store in an air-tight container (large Ziplocs work great for this!), and write the date you made the cookies + the name of the cookies on the bag before placing in the freezer.
Thawing Healthy Peanut Butter Cookies
Thaw these cookies at room temperature overnight, or if you’re in a pinch for a healthy cookie right now, remove from the freezer and place a cookie in the microwave for 1 minute on defrost, or until it’s chewy and delicious.
- 1/2 cup drippy, all-natural peanut butter*
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar (option to use coconut sugar*)
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 cup finely ground almond flour (we recommend THIS product by Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt (for topping)
- First, preheat the oven to 350ºF and spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Next, place all ingredients into a medium bowl minus the coconut oil and mix until combined. Then, add melted coconut oil and mix again. Your dough should be similar to classic cookie dough.
- Use a 1.5-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop dough into your hands. Roll into a ball and slightly flatten in a cookie shape and place on the baking sheet. Repeat.
- Add additional chocolate chips (if you love chocolate) to the tops of each cookie and sprinkle with coarse sea salt.
- Bake at 350ºF for 9-11 minutes, or until the cookies have firmed up.
- Immediately transfer cookies from baking sheet to a cooling rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before eating.
- Let cookies cool completely before storing in an airtight container. As they cool, they will firm up even more.
Tips & Notes
- In order for this recipe to work, the consistency of your peanut butter must be drippy.
- If you use coconut sugar, your batter will likely need 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil.
Serving Size: 1 cookie Calories: 205 Sugar: 5 Sodium: 97 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 20 Fiber: 2 Protein: 7 Cholesterol: 18
Keywords: healthy peanut butter cookies