Use this homemade chili seasoning in your next batch of chili. This chili seasoning recipe is the perfect blend of smokey and savory and only requires 6 total ingredients.
There are countless ways you can use this chili seasoning! Not only can you use it in any of our chili recipes, but you can use it in recipes like this tasty chili cheese dip, too!
What does this Chili Seasoning taste like?
Have you ever been in the middle of making a big batch of chili and realized that you are out of chili powder or cumin? Those are two of the main seasonings in chili and we’re here to prevent that from ever happening again!
Our blend of chili seasonings is savory, not too spicy, and oh-so-flavorful. It’s made with a base of chili powder, garlic powder, and ground cumin. It’s tried and true and we use it in almost all of our red chili recipes on Fit Foodie Finds!
Chili Spices – What You Need
The key to a delicious chili seasoning recipe is having the perfect balance of all of the classic chili spices. You probably have all ingredients for this homemade chili seasoning in your pantry right now:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Smoked paprika
- Ground pepper
These are simple ingredients and when mixed together, make the perfect blend of smoky, earthy, and savory. Really, the perfect seasonings for chili if you ask me! Keep in mind that you can take out or add any spices to change the flavor of your chili seasoning.
Want to add spice?
If you want your chili spicy, add cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. You can even up the smoked paprika and/or add chipotle powder.
Want to add sweet?
If you want to add a little bit of sweetness to your chili seasoning, add a teaspoon of brown sugar or coconut sugar to the mix. And, to really enhance this sweetness, you can add a pinch of ground cinnamon!
Everything You Need to Know
We want to make sure you feel confident using this chili seasoning in your favorite chili recipes without question. Here is everything you need to know before you mix up a fresh jar of homemade chili seasoning.
How many batches of chili can I make with this recipe?
We’re all about making life easier, which is why this particular recipe will actually get you 4 batches of chili. Make it once, eat 4 times. Heck yes!
So, how many tablespoons of chili seasonings do I need per chili recipe? Use anywhere from 3 to 4 tablespoons of chili seasoning mix per chili recipe.
check it out
Check out our popular Beef Chili recipe. It actually uses this exact chili seasoning mix!
What do I store my homemade chili seasoning in?
There are so many great options for spice storage these days. As long as you have an airtight container, you’re golden. If you don’t want to buy new spice containers, save old spice containers, wash them, and keep them for when you make homemade spice mixes!
How long does this seasoning for chili last? Store your seasoning mix in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
Recommended Spice Containers
Can I add other flavors to my chili?
Yes! You can add any flavor other flavors you would like to your seasoning mix. Try adding:
- a pinch of ground cinnamon
- a little brown sugar
- cayenne pepper for more spice
- onion powder for a mild flavor
Can I use chili powder instead of chili seasonings?
Good news for you, the majority of our homemade chili seasoning (and most store-bought recipes) is made from chili powder! So, yes, use chili powder, but then also make sure to add other key spices such as ground cumin, garlic powder, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
What is the best secret ingredient for chili?
The secret ingredient for chili, you ask? Our secret ingredient actually isn’t in this spice mix…but it could be! The secret ingredient we use in most chili recipes is maple syrup! A little bit of sweetness really helps bring out the flavors of the spices.
If you don’t want to worry about adding maple syrup at the time of cooking, simply add a few teaspoons of brown sugar to your mix.
What other recipes can I use chili seasoning in?
Chili seasoning is most commonly used in red chili recipes, but it doesn’t have to stop there! This homemade chili seasoning would be delicious in so many different types of recipes.
- Spice Rub: Use this chili seasoning as a dry rub for chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp! Use a tablespoon of spices per pound of meat for amazing flavor!
- Roasted Veggies: This chili seasoning is a great mix for veggies, too! Add a tablespoon or two to a pan of veggies that are tossed with olive oil. Bake the veggies at 400ºF for 25-30 minutes and you have a perfect vegetable side.
- Appetizers: Mix this chili seasoning into dips, meatballs, or as a spice mix for homemade tortilla chips. Chili flavor goes great with just about everything!
Here are some basic recipes from the Fit Foodie Archives to use your spice mix on.
- Roasted Root Vegetables – sprinkle on a couple of tablespoons to really give this wholesome roasted vegetable recipe more flavor.
- Grilled Chicken – use 1 to 1.5 tablespoons of spices per pound of chicken breast.
- Mexican Beef Skillet – don’t have taco seasoning? Use this in place instead! They are quite similar, actually.
- Baked Beans – swap out the spices in our baked beans recipe and use this mix instead.
Homemade Chili Seasoning Recipe
Whip up a batch of our homemade chili seasoning in less than 5 minutes with just 6 total ingredients. It’s made with a base of chili powder but also includes garlic powder, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
Prep: 5 minutesCook: 0 minutesTotal: 5 minutes
Fat 4 Carbs 18 Protein 5
Yield ~1 cup
- 12 tablespoons chili powder
- 8 teaspoons garlic powder
- 8 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Place all ingredients for the chili seasoning into a large glass container or mason jar.
- Cover the jar and shake until all spices are combined.
- Store chili seasoning in a cool, dry place with the jar covered tightly.
Tips & Notes
- In a typical chili recipe, use around 3-4 tablespoons of homemade chili seasoning.
- Single batch: To make a single batch of this homemade chili seasoning follow the following measurements: 3 tablespoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper.
Serving Size: ~1/4 cup Calories: 101 Sugar: 2 Fat: 4 Carbohydrates: 18 Fiber: 9 Protein: 5
Keywords: chili seasoning, homemade chili seasoning