This Instant Pot Pork Chili is about to be your new go-to chili recipe. It’s made with 5 basic ingredients including a pork shoulder butt roast, beans, taco seasoning, and a jar of salsa!
Best Pork Chili in Instant Pot
Cooking pork in the Instant Pot is by far my favorite method for getting ultra tender and flavorful pulled pork. That is exactly what this recipe results in, a pulled pork chili made with perfectly shredded pork and so much flavor!
BONUS – the Instant Pot really speeds up the cooking process so that you can have shredded pork chili in no time.
Good & Gather Only at Target
Today’s pork chili recipe is sponsored by Target and their amazing Good & Gather line. We love Good & Gather because of their wide variety of products and the fact that they are all high-quality items. All Good & Gather products are free of:
- synthetic colors
- artificial flavors
- artificial sweeteners
- high-fructose corn syrup
5 Main Ingredients
Are you ready to make this Good & Gather-inspired pork chili? You can pop over to your local Target and pick up every single ingredient for this recipe. And guess what? You can make it with just 5 main ingredients! Let’s take a look at what you need:
- Good & Gather boneless pork shoulder butt roast: The star of the show is a boneless pork shoulder butt roast. You will need anywhere from 2.5 to 3 lbs. for this pork chili.
- Good & Gather taco seasoning packet: Why make things difficult when you can use a pre-mixed seasoning packet that is made with the most perfect blend of spices?!
- Good & Gather crushed tomatoes: This pork chili is a red chili and crushed tomatoes are the base of the sauce.
- Good & Gather beans (any kind): What is chili without beans? Grab 3 cans of your favorite kind. We used 2 cans of pinto beans and 1 can of black beans.
- Good & Gather black bean and corn salsa: A jar of salsa is the secret flavor-blasted ingredient in this recipe. Not only does it add a kick, but more hearty ingredients such as corn, black beans, and jalapeños.
As always with Fit Foodie Finds recipes, feel free to add ingredients as you please, especially with chili recipes like this one! Here are 2 ingredients we added in:
- Sweet corn: sweet corn is a great balance for savory flavor.
- Diced green chiles: green chiles add a lot of depth WITHOUT adding a ton of spice.
Featured Good & Gather Ingredients
How to Make Instant Pot Pork Chili
Step 1: Season Meat
Typically with red chili recipes, we use our favorite homemade chili seasoning, but today, we’re making things a whole lot easier!
Did you know that you can use taco seasoning in place of chili seasoning? That’s where Good & Gather’s taco seasoning comes into play. 1 packet is all you need!
- Slice your 3 lb. pork shoulder roast into 4 equal chunks. Don’t worry about trimming the fat off at this point. After it’s pressure cooked, it will fall right off!
- Then, use about half the taco seasoning packet to season the meat on all sides. Save the other half of the seasoning for later.
Can I use a bigger piece of meat? Yes! Start with 45 minutes on high pressure and then add time from there in 5-10 minute increments. The goal is to get tender pork that can be easily shredded.
Step 2: Brown Pork
Add olive oil to the bottom of your Instant Pot and then turn on the saute feature. When the olive oil is fragrant, add in the 4 pork shoulder pieces.
Saute the pork shoulder for around 3 minutes on each side. The goal is to just brown the pork, so make sure to keep an eye on it!
do I really need to brown the pork first?
Technically you do NOT need to brown the pork before pressure cooking. However, we always recommend browning it for a few reasons:
- Texture: browning the pork is going to give you amazing texture and really help infuse the meat with flavor.
- Faster preheat time: by using the saute feature, you’re actually preheating the Instant Pot making the pressure building time faster!
Step 3: Pressure Cook Pork
Remove the meat from the Instant Pot and then add in crushed tomatoes and the rest of the taco seasoning. Use a wooden utensil to scrape the brown bits off the bottom of your pot. This is important for preventing the burn notice!
Then, place the trivet into the Instant Pot and then place the pork on top of the trivet.
Put the lid on your Instant Pot, turn the valve to seal, and then set the Instant Pot to manual > high > and set the timer to 45 minutes.
It will take around 10-15 minutes for your Instant Pot to fully build up pressure before it starts to count down from 45 minutes.
Step 4: Shred Pork
Once the timer goes off, quick release your Instant Pot. Open the Instant Pot, and remove the pork and the trivet. Place it on a large plate or baking sheet. Carefully use 2 forks to shred the pork. Remove and discard any large chunks of fat.
Add the shredded pork back into the Instant Pot and mix.
pork still tough?
At this point, your pork shoulder should be tender and easy to shred. If it’s not, no fear! Simply place the lid back on and pressure cook it on high for 5-10 more minutes.
Step 5: Add the Rest & Mix
Finally, add in 3 cans of beans, black bean and corn salsa, and any other add-ins your heart desires! We added a cup of sweet corn and 4 oz. of green chiles.
Mix everything together and eat immediately!
What is chili without the toppings? Here are some topping recommendations for you to complete your meal:
- Greek yogurt/sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- Green onions
- Tortilla chips
Let your pork chili cool completely. Then, transfer it into an air-tight container and put the lid on. Store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
To reheat: Transfer a serving of chili into a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes.
Let pork chili cool completely. Then, transfer it into a gallon-sized plastic bag or freezer-safe container. Remove as much air as possible and seal the lid. Freeze for up to 3 months.
Instant Pot Pulled Pork Chili
Are you ready for chili for days? Make this flavorful Instant Pot Pulled Pork Chili in no time using a pork shoulder butt roast, beans, taco seasoning, and a jar of salsa!
Prep: 15 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour
Fat 13 Carbs 46 Protein 36
Yield 6–8 1x
- First, prepare the pork shoulder by cutting it into 4 equal chunks. Then, season the meat on all sides with about half of your taco seasoning packet. You’ll use the other half later.
- Next, turn on the Instant Pot’s saute feature and add olive oil. When the olive oil is fragrant, sear pork shoulder chunks for around 3 minutes on each side.
- Once the meat has browned, turn off the saute feature, and remove the meat. Add ¼ cup of water to deglaze the Instant Pot and use a wooden utensil to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot. Then, add in crushed tomatoes and the rest of the taco seasoning into the Instant Pot and mix everything together. Then, place the trivet inside the Instant Pot and place the meat on top of the trivet.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to seal. Turn Instant Pot to manual > high > and set the timer to 45 minutes. It will take around 10-15 minutes to build enough pressure to start counting down from 45.
- Once the timer goes off, quick release the Instant Pot and open the top. Remove the 4 chunks of pork and place them on a large plate or cutting board. Carefully use 2 forks to shred the pork. Discard any fatty pieces and then add the shredded pork back into the Instant Pot and mix.
- Finally, add in 3 cans of beans, salsa, and any other add-ins and mix again.
- Serve with Greek yogurt, fresh cilantro, and shredded cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Burn notice: if you get the burn notice, simply open your Instant Pot, add 1/4 cup of water and use your wooden utensil to scrape the bottom of the Instant Pot. You likely have something stuck to the bottom!
- Water: this step is not visual in the video.
- Nutrition information includes sweet corn and green chiles.
Serving Size: 1/8 Calories: 435 Sugar: 6 Fat: 13 Carbohydrates: 46 Fiber: 11 Protein: 36
Keywords: pork chili
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Target. We were compensated and all opinions are our own. Thank you for supporting Fit Foodie Finds!