Add these Shortbread Almond Flour Cookies to the menu for your next get together! These shortbread cookies are buttery, gluten free, and easy to whip up in no time.
The Best Almond Flour Cookies
Looking for a delicious almond flour cookies this holiday baking season? These almond flour cookies are super easy to make and I bet you have all the ingredients you need at home right now, nothing fancy!
We love these almond flour cookies for so many reasons!
- You can make delicious shortbread cookies that are gluten free AND delicious!
- No mess of rolling cookie dough out or needing cookie cutters. You just need some plastic wrap and a sharp knife.
- You can decorate these cookies any way you want. Dip them in chocolate, add sprinkles, or add chopped nuts!
No matter if you celebrate a holiday this time of year or not, tis’ the season for baking and being cozy. We have developed some pretty delicious cookie recipes this holiday season, like these Hot Cocoa Cookies and Healthy Holiday Buckeye Recipe. You just can’t go wrong!
All the Ingredients You Need
Everything you need for these cookies is in your pantry or refrigerator right now! Here is everything you need.
- Almond flour
- Maple syrup
- Almond extract
- Dark chocolate chips
- Coconut oil
- Sprinkles or nuts
Sugar Cookies vs. Shortbread Cookies
These shortbread almond flour cookies are SUPER simple to make. Many people ask the question: what the difference is between sugar cookies and shortbread cookies? Sugar cookies (like our Christmas Gluten Free Sugar Cookie Cutouts) are generally a bit sweeter.
Shortbread cookies tend to be a bit thicker and drier, and when I think of shortbread cookies, I think an almond extract flavor.
Questions About Almond Flour Cookies
Can I use almond flour instead of regular flour for cookies?
We recommend only using almond flour for recipes that call for almond flour! Almond flour does not make a good substitute for regular flour .
Can you add chocolate chips to this cookie dough?
Yes, you can add chocolate chip cookies to this cookie dough! Add the chocolate chips before you make a the almond flour cookies into a log.
Do you freeze these cookies?
There are two different ways you can freeze these cookies! You can freeze the dough when it is formed into a log. Just be sure that the cookie dough log is wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and then in tin foil.
You can freeze the cookies after they are baked. Let the cookies cool completely before placing them in an airtight container and place them in the freezer.
Pro Tips for Almond Flour Cookies
We used almond flour and almond extract in these shortbread cookies because we wanted them to be accessible to everyone! Even if you do enjoy a little bit of gluten in your diet, you won’t miss it when you take a bite of these delectable almond flour cookies.
let the dough set
The key to making these cookies is giving the dough enough time to set up in the fridge. Once you slice them into rounds and bake them, you have the very important job of deciding how you are going to decorate them.
Decorate like a Champ
We went for red and green sprinkles for obvious reasons. However, we also threw in some slivered almonds because they’re beautiful. Feel free to dip these delicious cookies and chocolate and let them be, they are just as tasty!
- 2.5 cup almond flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Sprinkles or nuts (optional)
- First, place all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix. When ingredients are combined, use your hands to form the dough into a log (about 1.5 inches in diameter).
- Roll your shortbread log into a piece of plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes.
- While your shortbread log is in the fridge, preheat oven to 350ºF and spray a baking sheet with coconut oil spray or cover with parchment paper.
- Remove your shortbread log from the refrigerator and slice into 1/4 thick rounds. Repeat until you have cut through the whole log.
- Place cookies on baking sheet and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil into a small bowl and melt in the microwave or a double boiler.
- Next, dip half of a shortbread cookie into the melted chocolate. Let access chocolate drip from the cookie and then sprinkle melted chocolate with sprinkles, nuts, or whatever topping you prefer! Repeat until all shortbread cookies are gone.
- Let cool completely. Serve or store in the freezer.
Serving Size: 1/10 Calories: 162 Sugar: 10 Sodium: 67 Fat: 12 Carbohydrates: 14 Fiber: 2 Protein: 2
Keywords: Shortbread cookies, almond flour
Shop This Post