Give this chocolate protein ice cream a try. This ice cream recipe is dairy free and made with frozen bananas, cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder, and almond milk! With 15 grams of protein per serving, it is a healthy treat too!
Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
Did you know you can enjoy ice cream as a breakfast treat or even as a post workout snack? This chocolate protein ice cream wears a lot of hats.
We’ve mixed up peanut butter chocolate chip banana nice cream and strawberry protein ice cream, but nothing beats chocolate!
There are only 6 ingredients needed to blend up a batch of this chocolate ice cream before you’ll be enjoying a big spoonful of heaven. We love this protein ice cream because it is
Made with frozen bananas
Easy to prepare
Ingredients You Need
This recipe is simple and you only need a few ingredients. Let’s break down everything you need to make this protein ice cream.
- Bananas– the base of this protein ice cream is frozen bananas! Frozen bananas are easy to freeze, become creamy when frozen and blended, and add natural sweetness. Learn how to freeze bananas here!
- Cocoa powder– it wouldn’t be chocolate ice cream without chocolate. We use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Chocolate protein powder – you make this chocolate protein ice cream extra chocolate-y by using chocolate protein powder. Feel free to use whey or plant based protein powder. Our personal favorite protein powder is Teras Whey.
- Vanilla extract– a little extract adds delicious depth to ice cream.
- Unsweetened almond milk– you only need a little bit of almond milk to think out the ice cream when you blend everything together.
- Rainbow sprinkles– ice cream deserves a delicious topping. We chose rainbow sprinkles, but use whatever ice cream toppings you would like.
guide to protein powder
Looking for the best protein powder to buy? Check out our Guide to Protein Powder where we share our top plant-based and whey protein powders.
How to Make Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
- Place ingredients in a food processor- Immediately place frozen bananas into the food processor when you remove them from the freezer (the ice cream won’t work if the bananas aren’t frozen). Add the cocoa powder, protein powder, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Blend until smooth- Cover the food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to scrape the sides a couple of times.
- Add more almond milk- If the protein nice cream isn’t blending well, add another teaspoon or two to the food processor and blend until it turns into a soft serve consistency.
- Serve- Serve the protein ice cream as soft serve right away or freeze for later.
2 Ways to serve protein ice cream
No matter how you serve this chocolate ice cream, it will be delicious. Luck you, you get to decide how you want to serve it.
If you like to enjoy your ice cream as a soft serve, go ahead and eat the protein ice cream right away with your favorite ice cream topping.
If ice cream is more of your jam, line a loaf pan with parchment paper and pour the chocolate protein ice cream in the pan. Evenly spread the ice cream out and cover with plastic wrap. Place it in the freezer for at least 2 hours.
Protein Ice Cream Tips + Tricks
Consistency is Key
The last thing you want is to end up with drippy chocolate protein ice cream. To avoid this you have to be sure to do a few things.
- Make sure your bananas are frozen up until you blend it in the food processor.
- Only add a little almond milk at a time to avoid a chocolate protein smoothie.
- If you do decide to freeze the chocolate protein ice cream be sure to cover the ice cream so there isn’t freezer burn.
Choose your toppings
We chose a simple and classic ice cream topping, SPRINKLES! You can use any of the ice cream toppings below, too.
- chocolate chips
- yogurt chips
- fresh berries
- coconut flakes
Is this ice cream healthy?
This chocolate protein ice cream is a healthy snack option that is packed with protein.
make it easy
Print Your Own
Keep common kitchen conversions like tablespoons to teaspoons and Fahrenheit to Celsius on hand at all times with our printable kitchen conversions chart.
Chocolate Protein Ice Cream
This chocolate protein ice cream recipe is dairy free and packed with protein! Make it for dessert or a tasty post protein treat.
Prep: 20 minutesCook: 0 minutesTotal: 20 minutes
Yield 2 1x
- 2 cups frozen sliced bananas
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup chocolate protein powder (any kind)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2–4 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk*
- Rainbow sprinkles, for topping
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender or food processor and process on high until a smooth, thick consistency has been formed. Option to add more milk by the tablespoon as needed.
- Soft-serve: serve immediately.
- Ice cream: line a parchment-lined bread loaf. Then, place into the freezer for 1 to 2 hours to firm up. Use an ice cream scoop to serve.
- Top with sprinkles and enjoy!
Tips & Notes
- Add more almond milk as needed to thin out the protein ice cream.
Serving Size: 1/2